Monday, November 28, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

My head is swirling again.  The sights and sounds of Black Friday disturbed me beyond recognition.  All I could think of is imperious leaders tossing coins to the peasants.  It is disgusting, gross, and turns otherwise "normal" people into criminals and bullies.  That people were killed, attacked, pepper sprayed for "fabulous" deals, is so distasteful.  The image of rich puppeteers pulling the strings of the marionettes, the Marie Antoinette feel of Black Friday "let them eat cake," the mayhem from the cinematic images of raining down dollar bills, it just keeps playing over and over again in my mind.  Which part of this is good for the people?  Which part is good that workers had to leave their families' Thanksgiving gatherings to go to work on Thursday night to begin the outrageous craziness of shoppers?  Which part is in keeping with the Christmas spirit?  Christmas has gotten so far afield from it's original intent.  Religion is so far removed from the day and it's all about consumption.  I find it more and more depressing every year.  The Emperors of Capitalism couldn't be happier with the fight to the death attitude of Black Friday.  Who are really the winners?

Speaking of Evil Empires. Nike has always been a thorn in my side.  I don't like their far reaching hold on consumers, high schools, colleges, and professional teams.  Their control was never more apparent than watching the Stanford-Notre Dame game last night. Growing up a Stanford fan, red and white were the glorious, clean, crisp colors of the Cardinal uniforms.  In last night's game, the Stanford team were all in scarlet/maroon uniforms from shoulder to shin, wearing black helmets.  It was so unsettling and for a life long fan, very confusing to watch.  I had to re-adjust my vision and expectation every time I was watching the teams march down the field.  Notre Dame were wearing their crisp white and gold uniforms, looking sharp and clean against the thug wear that Nike sold to Stanford.  I don't know who is getting what out of changing a long held tradition, but I do know that Nike is making money.  I just can't understand why Stanford, deep into tradition and long in school spirit would make such a radical and ridiculous change. Isn't it enough that we had to change the mascot from Indians to Cardinal?  Isn't that enough change for any Stanford lifer?  

Feel free to re-post or send to a friend!  

1 comment:

  1. Here's a little something to cheer you up: my daughter announced that she doesn't want any gifts this year: just donations to charities for kids instead.
    Gotta love her.
    Even if she doesn't really mean it!

    ReplyDelete