Friday, May 25, 2012

Too Much


I actually don't know what to say about Etan Patz.  For my whole adult life I have heard of the stunning and tragic disappearance of Etan Patz and I couldn't let it go unspoken. The fact that they finally believed the man that confessed to killing Etan Patz 33 years ago today, doesn't bring him back.  Doesn't change anything.  I can't imagine how Etan's parents must feel.  Their life stopped 33 years ago today.  Nothing was ever the same.  They wouldn't move from their home on Prince Street, in case he made his way home.  Etan Patz was the first child's face on the milk carton.  This man Hernandez doesn't know why he killed Etan.  When he spoke to police 33 years ago, they thought he was a raving lunatic and let him go. The only solace that can be taken is that even if the police believed him then, Etan was already dead.  Hernandez strangled Etan to death in the basement of the bodega where he worked, threw him in a trash bag, and threw the bag to the curb for garbage pick up.  A cold case closed, finally. Empty justice.

Last night, we celebrated athletes at my kids' school.  I love sports.  I love watching, rooting, and supporting.  What I find curious is that we aren't even a big rah, rah school and yet, we still hold sports up higher than anything else.  There's no performing arts dinner.  There's no math/science or English/history dinner. We go to sporting events and scream for the teams.  The arts are clearly, slighted.  I hate that.  We had the art show at school and it was more empty than in years past.  The Spring play's audience was packed to the rafters for the first time.  What is that about?  Is that an effect of cultural change?  My first love has been and always will be the arts, though the active engagement of being a sports spectator is intoxicating.  The communal feel rooting your team on is contagious and thrilling. There is really nothing like it. Do I sound conflicted? I am.  I just am surprised that at a school that hasn't put winning first and foremost, we celebrate athletics over all other areas.  

SIDEBARS:  May sweeps are over.  Revenge, the show that I think should have been one season, created a fairly good hook for season two.  Not sure that I am in or not, but I tip my hat to the writers.  American Idol.  Didn't watch.  Didn't care.  If I am done with the show, I think they are in trouble.  There is a glut of music shows.  There has to be a saturation point, doesn't there?  How many new singers can there be?  Watched Duets first show.  Didn't grab me at all. Glee ended their season.  Very bittersweet.  They really did graduate some of their biggest stars.  If the writing is good next season, it won't skip a beat, but that is a huge "if." Law and Order: SVU ended its season with a cliffhanger.  I can't ever remember them doing that.  Curious for a show that doesn't really have carryover story lines.  Grey's Anatomy season finale made it so anyone whose contract isn't signed can go.  Actors, don't act up. I did let go of The Big C.  
It's Memorial Weekend.  The unofficial beginning of summer, but can we each take a moment and remember why we have a 3-day weekend?  It isn't just another day off.  Take a moment and remember those loved ones that gave their life for their country.  Take a moment to thank all the soldiers that sacrificed their lives for all of us.  It isn't just another day off.  

Feel free to re-post or forward to a friend.

1 comment: