Friday, May 18, 2012

Mourning Summer

I have been sitting here trying to figure out how to write about Donna Summer.  One of my closest friend's tracked me down to tell me the news about her death.  I was stunned. My jaw was on the ground.  Crushing.  Donna Summer played in intricate part in my life's soundtrack.  I am an unabashed lover of Disco.  It came on the scene when I was coming of age.  It was the music that we all danced to over and over again.  Never got tired of any of her songs.  

Donna Summer was gorgeous. Donna Summer had a glorious voice. Her music resonated on the dance floor and while driving in the car.  It is music that we cranked up.  It couldn't be played too loudly. It was perfect for every celebration.  She really spoke to us.  I don't know which part made it so, but the excitement, when she was putting out a new song, was palpable.  When they announced that she was doing a duet with Barbra Streisand, I thought how odd.  Can they really put those two voices together cohesively?  Oh, my goodness, did they ever.  We played it over and over and over again.  We sang both parts.  We'd sing it alone or sing it together. We'd switch parts and sing it again.  It was great to read Barbra's quote:  "I was shocked to hear about Donna. She was so vital the last time I saw her a few months ago. I loved doing the duet with her. She had an amazing voice and was so talented... It's so sad." - Barbra Streisand

I feel that I am unable to write adequately the impact she had on my life, but she was a force. A true talent.  She wasn't created by autotune and tabloids.  She was the real deal and will be sorely missed.  The papers said that she just finished recording an album.  Please put it out. Put out all music that didn't make it on an album.  

I am a little sad that for whatever reason, Donna Summer's death is a blip on the radar.  I don't know why her death isn't as earth shattering as Whitney Houston's.  We had to hear for days upon days about Whitney's self-induced tragic death.  Do you get more attention from dying from drugs and alcohol?  Donna Summer died of lung cancer. TMZ reported that it was from toxic particles from 9/11. Is that true?  Isn't that more tragic?  I don't know if that's true, but the fact that Donna Summer and her music only got a couple of minutes on American Idol and all the news shows....  It didn't reverberate to the masses like Whitney Houston did, but to me, it is everlasting. It will always reverberate. Here's what the great Elton John said upon hearing of her death:  "I'm so sad. This woman was the queen of disco and so much more," Sir Elton John told E! News. "Her records sound as good today as they ever did. That she has never been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a total disgrace, especially when I see the second-rate talent that has been inducted. She is a great friend to me and to the Elton John AIDS Foundation and I will miss her greatly."‪

Donna Summer's music is the soundtrack to my college years and beyond.  It matters more to me.  I will always love you!

Sidebars:  The X Factor. Hiring Demi Lovato and Britney Spears for the X Factor is either going to be Simon Cowell's biggest coup or biggest bomb.  There is no in between.  I expect the latter.  I'd be so bummed if I was on either of their teams.  Hope I am wrong.  Grey's Anatomy season finale was gut wrenching.  American Idol is down to two: Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez.  Both great talents and have no idea who will win.  Glee had a two hour pre-season finale show.  Don't know why they chose to do that.  Facebook's IPO went public today.  Fascinating to watch the ticker on the first trades.  Must be an exciting day to be in Palo Alto.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Feel free to re-post or forward to a friend.

-- 

2 comments:

  1. Donna Summer was such a force and an innovator. she was the precursor to so much of today's music. Don't know why people don't acknowledge that. It is staggering how many young people have no idea who she is. That, my dear, is why her death doesn't provoke as much news as did Whitney's. She is unknown to an entire generation, sadly. A devastating loss. Beautiful tribute. xo

    ReplyDelete