Friday, September 14, 2012

Keep Breathing

So many flashes from ear to ear.  What to write? What to say?  The news this week has been unbearable.  I have stuck my head in the sand, sort of, and drowned myself in talent competitions on television.  I think that I have made it clear that I love The Voice.  I love everything about it.  I think the judges are fantastic and funny: Cee Lo, Adam Levine, Cristina Aguilera, and Blake Shelton.  Their chemistry is evident and the fun is just beginning.  America's Got Talent concluded last night.  It was Howard Stern's first season.  As a non-Howard fan I was very skeptical of his hire, but he rose to the occasion.  He was thoughtful, clear, and sometimes bitchy. Howie Mandel and Sharon Osbourne were clearly very happy with the change. Now, Sharon may not come back.  NBC dissed her son, and never piss off a Mom.  She said this was it.  Howard thinks she'll come back.  I'd like to be in on those behind the scenes discussions. The X Factor premiered this week with Demi Lovato and Britney Spears as the two new judges.  Both were surprisingly good.  Not sure over the long haul when they each have to coach their teams, but their judging skills were far better than I ever imagined.  There were two heartbreaking moments on the first night.  Great television and painful.  I won't be DVRing but will watch when I can.  

I have been mulling Jay Leno over and over again in my head.  I have always liked him.  I used to always watch him but not so much since having children.  What I have never understood is why so many other comedians don't like him.  I feel like he gets blamed for so much that he isn't responsible for and yet there is a lot of venom towards him.  Is it professional jealousy?  To me he seems like a very well paid contract player.  He does what he's told by his bosses.  The blue collar worker at heart.  Just in the past few weeks, he took a $15 million dollar pay cut so he could keep his staff.  Did you get that??  $15 million dollars?  50% of his salary.  Jay Leno doesn't own his show like David Letterman does.  He is under contract and gets paid a salary.  When the whole Conan O'Brien dispute happened, I didn't get the blame factor towards Jay.  I thought Conan came off like a child who got his toys taken away.  The blame should have been at the feet of the NBC honchos.  Conan was mad, trashed Leno, and went on tour.  I thought it was bad sportsmanship.  Conan bombed at 11:35 and Jay bombed at 10pm.  NBC had to save the network and the affiliates who were ready to jump ship.  I feel so awkward defending Jay, but from where I sit, I don't get it.  Am I missing something?  I am not talking about whether or not you think he's funny or not.  I am just stymied by the rancor surrounding him by others.  I don't see it.

Sidebars:  I have been a bit out of sync this week. Tough week internationally. If you celebrate or observe Rosh Hoshanah, wishing you a very healthy, sweet, and happy new year!  If you don't, enjoy a weekend filled with fun and joy.   

Feel free to re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment