Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Deep Sighs All Around

Today I awake to another shaking my head kind of a day.  The "good" people of Wisconsin voted to keep their union busting Governor.  Wow, can you imagine that?  They came out in record droves to keep their fine Governor.  I can't stop shaking my head.  

I am entirely sick of this Presidential election cycle.  I look at the brilliance of the French election system with envy and awe.  Did you know that the Presidential campaign kicked off on March 20, 2012.  The first round of voting, like our primary, took place over two days: April 21-22.  Down to two: Nicholas Sarkozy, the sitting President, and Francois Hollande.  The election took place on May 5-6.  46 million people are registered to vote and 35 million people cast a vote.  When all was said and done, Francois Hollande won 51.62% of the vote to Sarkozy's 43.58%.  Election over.  Took over the Presidency almost immediately.  No big pomp and circumstance, just right to work.  Inaugurated on May 15th. Can you imagine what that would be like here?  I am not talking about the politics, I am talking about the brevity of the election cycle.  The no frills, no muss, no fuss.  It sounds so dreamy to me.  Can't we adopt something similar?  Save all the wasted money spent on elections?  The non-stop fundraising is nauseating.  If we could just figure this short election cycle to fit our country, it would be incredibly great. How great is a two day voting period?  AND over a weekend!!!!  That is tremendous.  This election was 8 weeks from start to finish. They had tons of candidates running and they managed to make it work.  I don't think I realized with such clarity how another country does elections until this year.  Can we please consider changing?  I could even expand it to 4 months....

Don't you love and respect our Congress?  They voted not to pass the Equal Pay Act yesterday.  Not sure how they find fault with that.  Men and Women getting equal pay.  That's exactly what I am talking about.  The most ludicrous, self-interested, narcissistic Congress imaginable.  Not looking out for all the people, just a few.  Looking out for the 46% of the people that believe in Creationism, not evolution.  Makes me sick to my stomach.  I am all over the place today.  There is so much disgusting and disappointing news.  This is just a small slice of what's going on.  I am beginning to feel more helpless everyday.

Sidebars:  The Celtics lead the Heat 3-2, which for most of the country is great.  The Heat is the behemoth NBA team that spells team with an "I."  The Celtics play as a team and they are led by the incredible Doc Rivers.  The Oklahoma City Thunder are leading the San Antonio Spurs 3-2.  The LA Kings lead the NJ Devils 3-0.  More than ever, tuning in the last five minutes is more than enough.  So many tension filled overtimes in all these match ups.  I can't take it and my only concern is that the Heat go down.  That's it.  Though I do love the Celtics.  As long as Doc Rivers is the coach....Kathy Griffin mentioned on her talk show that Clint Eastwood's wife has a reality show.  I think I had heard about it but blocked it out.  I was home and it was on, so because of Kathy's pitch, I tuned in to see what Mrs. Eastwood and Company is all about.  Wow, Clint Eastwood a man of few words throughout his career has let his wife have a reality show in their home, his restaurant, show his daughters, etc.  I can't understand why.  Is he dying?  Feeling his mortality?  It's uncomfortable. Thanks, Kathy. Speaking of Kathie Lee, she is the only one I heard say that Lindsey Lohan's photos as Liz Taylor were beautiful, but she didn't look like Elizabeth.  Everyone was extolling how exacting the look was.  I didn't think so, but I don't have the platform ala Kathie Lee.

Feel free to re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment