Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Disconnected

We have spent 22 long hours without cable or Internet. It has been a challenge on so many fronts. If one or the other had gone out, it would have been totally manageable, but both??? We are so dependent on technology now. Homework uses the Internet. Missed the president's State of the Union last night. Might have been relaxing, but I really like to watch and not miss possible drama. You see, if I had Internet, I could've watched on my computer. I heard Joe Biden's eye looked bad. Possibly a distraction to the viewer. I was appalled that the republican Senator from Texas invited the crazy ass Ted Nugent as his guest. The jabs and punches to Obama are disgraceful. Actually, I didn't even realize that Senators and Congressmen had guests to the SOTU. I thought only the President and First Lady got that honor.

Anyway, without cable and the Internet it has been a challenging period. Really quiet in the home. Really quiet. The gentle hum of NYC traffic outside. That's it.  Missed the police standoff with Christopher Dorner. I don't even know if it was shown here in real time. I will never know. It was on in Los Angeles, which, of course, makes sense.  


The communication addiction is so incredibly strong.  I didn't know what to do.  A big night of news and I didn't have control of the output and consumption.  In NYC, radio is not always easy to receive.  In the olden days, which was about 25 years ago, we used to get the late and early editions of the newspapers. Now we are lucky to get one edition.  Can't really re-capture the time away from the happenings, so a day missed.  It is fascinating how dependent we are on getting information immediately.  I have always suspected that I wouldn't find it relaxing to go to a fabulous, remote, luxurious hotel or vacation.  The last 36 hours really confirmed that.  I can handle losing television or cable, not both at the same time.  

Today at 2pm, the systems all went back to full throttle.  I breathed a sigh of relief, did a happy dance, and getting back in the groove.  It gave me a chance to think about my dependence on television, email, Facebook, Twitter, and everything else that is related to cable and internet.  I missed playing Candy Crush Saga, Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, Song Pop, Lexulous, and communicating with friends near and far.  I have concluded that I'm okay with it.  I have grown up with television and the internet has just enhanced the experience.  I live in NYC, so clearly I love the hustle and bustle.  I could never be a country girl.  Now, the apartment is buzzing again.  Ahhhhhhhhh, love it!

Sidebars:  E's Fashion Police is always a laugh-filled hour.  If you can still catch it, it is worth it.  Tonight, American Idol: the girls only.  Law and Order: SVU has a new episode and if you are a Survivor lover, you know a new season begins tonight.  It's Valentine's Day tomorrow.  Always have mixed feelings about it.  Will commemorate in some way, but always feel every day you should tell the people that you love, that you love them.  Don't need a special day on the calendar.  That's it.  I am busily trying to catch up.  Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

Please re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment