Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Second Term


The 2nd Inauguration of President Barack Obama didn't disappoint.  The pomp and circumstance is fantastic.  It's America at its finest.  Thousands of people from all over arrive ready to witness the swearing in of the President and Vice President.  President Obama made a beautiful speech, short and sweet.  I listened and couldn't believe that anyone could take the other side of it, but, lo and behold, Fox News and the NY Post felt he slapped the Far Right in the face.  Are you kidding me?  The President is laying out his vision for the next four years.  He spoke of gays and lesbians for the first time in any Inaugural address being treated equal in all ways.  He addressed women making the same salary as men. He addressed immigration.  He addressed bipartisanship and compromise.  In a 19 minute speech he covered a lot of ground and I found it very moving.  I didn't find it objectionable in any way, shape, or form.  The Brooklyn Tabernacle sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  It was stellar, though I never realized how religious it was.  James Taylor sang America the Beautiful, simply and beautifully.  Kelly Clarkson sang My Country Tis of Thee and was both adorable and sounded great.  Beyonce did a magnificent version of the Star Spangled Banner, though she lip-synched (I guess, that's why she took her ear bud out).  I was worried that she would give it far too many flourishes, but she kept it fairly simple and sounded amazing.  I love patriotic music.  It moves me and sung well, it really moves me. The First Family looked so happy and loving.  Michelle Obama looked fabulous and the girls have grown so much and are turning into beauties. 

The Inaugural Parade never disappoints.  The throngs of people waiting to get a glimpse of the President through the thick glass, dark windows.  Hoping that he may stop and get out and walk.  When he does finally get out with his wife, it is thrilling.  It is also a little bit sad to me, because the security is so tight, which is important, I am reminded that it all changed when President John Kennedy was shot and killed.  In that moment, life changed forever for the office of the Presidency and all Americans.  

All in all, it was a glorious day. A reminder how seamlessly our democracy works at times.  I hope that you spent some time watching part or all of the day.  If you didn't, take the time to listen to Obama's speech.  It's well worth the time.  

Sidebars: So much that I've wanted to respond about.  I've been ruminating for weeks about Lance Armstrong.  I've never really said a word, but now I just have to say...what a total scumbag.  He lied, cheated, and attacked.  He sued friends and colleagues and ruined the lives of so many.  I have zero pity for him and don't think that he should ever be able to compete.  He took the faith and courage of many and abused their trust.  I think he is one of the worst cheaters of all time.  Can American cycling bring back Greg LeMond to be the face of what the sport was and could be again??  The Harbowl!  Need I say more, really?  This is the greatest Super Bowl in years.  The hype will be real and I do think it will be a great game.  If you aren't a football fan, Jim Harbaugh, coach of the San Francisco 49ers, is playing opposite his brother, John Harbaugh, the coach of the Baltimore Ravens. They both won their respective games impressively to get to the big game. If you are a White Collar fan, it begins tonight for another season of shows on USA at 10pm. If you have never watched, it's not too late to jump in.  I have been watching NCIS a lot.  I had to give it a go because it is always rated very high in the television ratings.  I love Mark Harmon so it was easy.  It is still scoring big in its new episodes on Tuesdays at 8pm on CBS.  Freezing in NYC now. It's January.

Please re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment