Monday, June 24, 2013

Multi-Sidebars


Okay, I really mean no disrespect, but I find it offensive and disrespectful for the Governor of New Jersey to order the flags to fly half-mast for James Gandolfini.  He did it for Whitney Houston also.  In my many years, flags were flown half-mast for people that gave their lives for their country.  President Kennedy, the Challenger astronauts, 9/11, and so on.  Until Chris Christie, never did I hear of flags flying low for entertainers.  I think it cheapens the honor and the meaning intended.  There must be another way to honor great sons and daughters of States and the Country than that.  On Broadway, they dim the lights for great Broadway talents to honor their memories.  It's a fantastic tradition.  Jersey needs to come up with something else.  I don't know what.  They could turn off all the lights on the boardwalk in Atlantic City.  They could have a moment of silence on all the local radio stations.  Jersey can't have this one for great entertainers.  

There were no clear lines of when to fly the flags at half-staff until President Dwight D. Eisenhower and they are clear.  They are for Presidents, Vice-Presidents, Senators, Memorial Day, etc.  Governor Chris Christie read the guidelines and find another way.  It's wonderful to honor the great men and women that have been raised in New Jersey, but not this way.  Christie isn't the only Governor to have ordered this but somehow it has gotten far more high-profile coverage, probably due to social media, than anyone ever.  Maybe it should be a topic of debate at the next Governor's conference.  

Finally watched and listened to the new Robin Thicke song called Blurred Lines.  I kept hearing about it but hadn't heard it.  Okay, I know people love him.  I don't.  Huge hit, but not for me.  This song keeps getting touted as the song of the summer.  I don't see it and now having watched the video....I think it's both narcissistic and misogynistic.  I don't get it.  I don't know what scantily clad women with fully clothed men is saying other than trying to make the song a bigger hit than it deserves.  Don't get it. I don't even want to encourage you to watch it, but if you have, let me know what you think.  

Have you seen the Justin Bieber stoned instagram video?  Again, where are his career handlers?  Where's his Mom?  With every step he takes on social media, he looks like a bigger ass than the day before.  Can't he just go away? That's all I have to say about that.  

The Twinkie is making a return in July!!  That's fantastic.  More interested in it being here than eating it because it's such a pop culture punchline.  

The George Zimmermann trial began this morning.  Already, it doesn't feel like it's going the way of the prosecution.  

Watched Nik Walenda last night walking across the Grand Canyon.  How scary and dumb.  

Watched the new series Devious Maids produced by Mark Cherry and Eva Longoria.  Not sure if it has a long life, but will try it again.  

Tonight, The Bachelorette.  

There's so much more to cover, but enough for one day. We're having a heatwave in the East.  There's extreme weather all over, so be careful out there and enjoy.

Please re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment