Thursday, July 26, 2012

I AM BACK!

I am back. After two fabulous weeks in California with my fab sister, family and friends, I am back,  though some of the trip was marred by incredibly tragic news.  I have been wondering what I could write about and as always, there are never enough words for my complete disrespect and abhorrence for the NRA.  I started to have a discussion about the NRA with someone who doesn't defend them, but has more understanding for them.  I don't.  I don't give a rats ass about the survival of the NRA.  They are the most all powerful and financially backed lobbying group in this country.  They represent everything that is wrong with lobbying groups and D.C.  After the horrific tragedy in Aurora, Colorado, it was suggested to me that it isn't the NRA's fault but the legislation of Colorado.  Who do you think runs the politicians in this country?  Most recently, the NRA didn't like a bill in Congress and made it clear that anyone who didn't vote their way, they will take them down in the next election.  Really?  Fair playing field?  We have an incredibly serious problem in this country and it all goes back to money and lobbyists.  We can't possibly have true democracy until D.C. disassembles and rebuilds itself from the ground up.  The Tea Partiers always like to throw around the US Constitution and especially the 2nd Amendment.  I respect the 2nd Amendment, always have, but I do not think that our incredibly brilliant forefathers could envision the world of guns that we live in today.  The intent of the 2nd Amendment is the right to protect oneself, family, and property.  We have come so far passed that intent.  The 2nd Amendment has been twisted and turned by the NRA that we the people are losing.  Even if James Holmes purchased all his guns legally, did he need all those guns?  Is it necessary for any gun to have the capability of shooting off 100 bullets in succession?  Should anyone be able to hoard 6000 rounds of ammunition without warning flags or consequences?  According to the NRA, yes.  Any reasonable compromise can never be found because the NRA has a gun to every politician's head.  This subject is not going away. Our leaders don't want to touch it.  Maybe if President Obama wins a second term, he will feel empowered to do something.  He certainly hasn't since he took office.  It's unbearable.  It's not right. It's truly un-American!

As far as my trip to California, you can go home again.  I went to Palo Alto with my sister, though it's not the same as when I grew up, it is still an incredible community.  I saw old friends and re-connected with people I hadn't seen in decades. It's far more ritzy and fashionable, but it's soul is still deeply seeded in my heart.  A drive to Los Angeles for the second week. I checked into the Shangri-La Hotel which we used to stay at with the kids before they did renovations.  Hate it now. Will not go back.  As a matter of fact, when my husband joined me, we moved to the fabulous and peaceful Shore Hotel down the street.  That changed the whole rest of the trip.  If you are going to Los Angeles and need a great hotel in Santa Monica, I can't say enough about it.

Sidebars:  The Bachelorette finale anti-climatic. Yawn. Very sad about two icons of my television youth passing: Sherman Hemsley and Chad Everett.  Sherman Hemsley was so damn funny.  Chad Everett and Medical Center.  He was so handsome.  Who could forget the two part Robert Reed sex change episodes?  Glad to be back.  Hope you will re-connect with my blog.  Enjoy!

Feel free to re-post or forward to a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment