Thursday, April 14, 2016

Freaking Out

Well, not exactly freaking out, but this election season is giving me a stomachache.  It is going on far too long and is not good for democracy.  The rhetoric is disturbing and much of it is offensive.  I am a registered democrat.  Life-long.  Even though it may often be against my best interests, I am a democrat.  If you have read any of my political rants, I'm sure it's no surprise.  

When I started out becoming politically aware, at the age of 9, I always picked the loser.  I loved Hubert Humphrey. I didn't know all the ins and outs of the convention woes and riots.  Had no idea.  George McGovern over Nixon.  I did pick Carter over Reagan.  That was my actual first Presidential vote.  On the way to the polling place, I lived in California then, they announced Reagan won. I was pissed and voted anyway.  Voted for Mondale and Dukakis, both underwhelming candidates.  Not until William Jefferson Clinton, did I feel the most confident and hopeful for my Presidential candidate.  We suffered through two terrible elections with George. W. Bush beating Gore and Kerry.  We finally got to the primary between Obama and Hillary Clinton.  

I was for Hillary.  I was both disappointed and thrilled at the outcome.  I deeply appreciate firsts.  The first African-American President, Barack Obama. Big, Huge.  His acceptance speech was so moving.  Thrilling. I had hope for a new world.  A new vision. It didn't really turn out that way.  Blocked at almost every turn by an obstructionist Congress.  President Obama got some sort of health coverage passed.  I am not one of the Americans who feels the advantages, but am happy that many are.  

It's been a very tough eight years, so no one should be surprised at the contentious election season on both sides, but I am.  It makes me sick.  I am still all in with Hillary Clinton.  I get why Bernie Sanders is appealing to many of the young people and McGovern lovers, but I don't think there is anything there.  He hasn't told us how he will do anything.  He has wonderful, noble ideas, but that's where it ends.  They are ideas with zero reality.  I remember being a young idealist, wanting to change the world.  Turn the world upside down and inside out, but that's not how it works.  Sanders wants to change the banks and take them apart.  He wants to make college free for all.  He wants Universal healthcare.  That is all very seductive, but how?  It isn't going to happen.  Our government doesn't work that way.  

I feel the angst of the future disappointment of the young.  I feel the angst for those of us that support Hillary Clinton.  It makes my stomach hurt.  I want it to stop.  I want all the registered voters to get out and vote in the primaries that are so important and remain.  New York's primary is Tuesday, 4/19.  The final primary is California in June.  I keep listening, reading, and hearing that it's going to be Clinton as the nominee, but I take nothing for granted.  If it ends up being Sanders, so be it, but if it's because the Clinton supporters didn't vote, that will make me angry.  I hope that when this is all decided and we are facing ______________
in the general election in November, that the Sanders supporters show up for Clinton or vice-a-versa.  There's too much on the line.

I will keep having stomachaches until November  I can't turn it all off.  

Please re-post, re-tweet, or forward to a friend.
@DianaPodolsky

No comments:

Post a Comment