Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Thaw Begins

I think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I never really thought about it. Winter's are often a challenge but, this year, it's been a killer.  I'm sure that for those of us in the Northeast the collective S.A.D. has be on the rise.  Do you think they came up with the acronym first and put words to fit or just a coincidence?  Anyway, this past Sunday was our first glimpse of Spring.  It was a palpable shift in mood.  The sun was shining, the coats got lighter, and moods were brighter.  It's only on Sunday that I realized how depressed I have been.  

Now, honestly, there's so much to be depressed about.  The news is so bleak.  For every great human interest story, there are ten crappy stories.  Our Congress sucks.  There's no two ways about it.  Our Republican Congress sucks more.  Their latest stunt writing to the Iranian leader is a National disgrace.  Since when do we air our dirty laundry?  And internationally?  Where are you now, Rudy Guiliani?  Is that patriotic and love of country?  That not one prominent Republican went to honor the anniversary in Selma is disgusting.  Former President G.W.Bush and Laura Bush were present, but also made it more glaring that John Boehner and Mitch McConnell weren't there.  What the hell?  What can the Republican leadership be thinking?  Jeb Bush is the most moderate Republican running for President '16.  Can you imagine that?  And because he is for comprehensive immigration reform, he probably won't make it past New Hampshire.  The Southern arm of the party don't like it, don't want it, will not vote.  Okay, so the Democrats don't really have anyone either to run, but seems that no matter who runs will beat any Republican candidate.  The majority of the country is moderate.  Period.  

I wanted to write about Benjamin Netanyahu's speech to Congress last week, but that really got me down.  I think that the standing ovations have got to stop.  It's ridiculous.  The Republicans stood for the story of Purim!  Really?  That's how predictable the standing ovations have become, but that particular one was so dumb.  The story of Queen Esther and Haman?  Standing O???????????  Netanyahu's speech was thoughtful and moving.  I am not criticizing the words, but I do criticize the timing.  Would have been far less controversial if it had happened after the Israel elections.  It lessened its impact and the mechanical applause didn't help.  And honestly, I was afraid to tackle this subject head on.  Emotions are so high about Israel and people see things in black or white.  I don't have the facility of language to attack this, but I do know that nothing is black and white.  Everyone has skin in the game.  Everyone has their own perspective on every angle.  There are always back room deals that we never know about.  We have friends in "enemy" countries because of many reasons: oil, land, security, etc.  Nothing is simple.  The only thing I do know...Israel must continue to exist for the Jewish people.  That's it.  How we accomplish that is far less clear.

I posted my delight at the beginning of daylight savings time on Facebook.  I got some heat for that, though many others agreed with me.  I know that John Oliver ripped DST to shreds on Sunday night's show.  All I know is that I like and need sunlight and daylight.  After this winter, more than ever. So if we don't "Fall back," would it still happen?  I know that no one likes mornings to be dark, but I love that Sunday evening the sun was still shining at 6:12pm and the sky was blue.  I don't really care how we get there.

This is a mish-mash.  My head has been swirling.  Though I haven't posted in a week, my mind never turns off.  Putting things together is getting harder.  I don't want to be Debbie Downer.

Sidebars:  The Voice is the best television.  The judges are so much more than that.  Even those singers that don't make it on the show, get valuable critiques to help them move forward and maybe return to the show. The Bachelor ended last night.  Chris Soules picked Whitney Bischoff.  I have claimed that whomever gets picked in the end would never make it.  I may be wrong.  After last night's finale, Whitney may be willing to throw all her accomplishments away and become a farm wife and mother in the middle of nowhere, Iowa.  If you're not DVRing the Graham Norton Show on BBCAmerica on Saturday nights, you are truly missing the best talk show on the air.  Give it a go.  You will not be sorry.  Ditto for John Oliver on Sunday night's on HBO.  Did you see the news item that two California twenty- something women were arrested in Rome because they carved their initials in the Roman Colisseum???!!!!  Another National embarrassment. Throw away the key. Take away their passports. There are so many more things I want to discuss but, I will save for another day.  Get outside, take a walk, take a breath.

Please re-post, re-tweet, or forward to a friend.
@DianaPodolsky

No comments:

Post a Comment