Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year...I'm Ba-ack

The slate is metaphorically clean.  We begin again. Some make resolutions. Some break resolutions.  After 55 years, I don't make New Year's resolutions.  I don't think that there is one that I have kept so I finally stopped. I always re-commit to being healthier and workout more, but that's just hoping that by some miracle, if I say it year in and year out, it will happen.  So, everyday, I try to re-commit to different things.  Some days I am successful, other days, not so much. 

Personally, the year is starting off fairly well.  Globally, ugh. Don't want to be Debbie Downer, but there's so much.  The fact that our President declared the war in Aghanistan or Iraq or both over just drains me.  The fact that the Iraq war was the longest war the USA ever fought in is also staggering.  I am grateful for all the sacrifices that our military and their families made, but....What was it all for?  Are we safer?  Is the world better for the wars?  Certain wars are clear or seemingly clear.  The Civil War, World War 2, but these unending wars in the Middle East?  If our leaders would just study, watch, and learn from history, it's no understatement that history repeats itself.  Hear that?  History repeats itself.  The smartest statement President Obama made recently was about Cuba.  If you try something for 50 years and it hasn't worked, it's time to try something different.  Of course, if people learned from history, it would take down psychotherapy as an occupation.  

Local politics in NYC is dreary and painful.  Mayor DiBlasio has done nothing to instill confidence with his leadership skills.  Every time he speaks, he steps in it.  Now that he is dancing as fast as he can to win back the entire NYPD, he sounds so disingenuous.  Maybe he should've taken public speaking before he became Mayor.  We are stuck with him for 3 more long years.  Do you hear that?  If I could think of anyone to replace him, I would start a recall election, but I don't see anyone on the horizon to run this city.  "Houston, we have a problem."  I can only hope that DiBlasio doesn't destroy this city while he is in office.  Bloomberg can't run again. Christine Quinn has virtually vanished into thin air since she got walloped in the primary election in 2013. It won't be Joe Lohta.  Who is there? Come on good, smart, educated politicians, who will be able to have the skill set and win an election in NYC?  If you reveal yourself soon.... 

Sidebars:  Took the family to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time on Broadway.  It was breathtaking.  Best production since The Lion King.  If you get the chance, don't miss it.  Trying to catch up on movies.  Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game, Into the Woods all worth seeing.  Want to see Cake but isn't playing here yet.  Still have to see Birdman, which is getting scarce to find showtimes.  The Golden Globes are Sunday, January 11th.  Best awards show, by far.  Set your DVR's.  The new television season began with new episodes of The Good Wife, Madam Secretary, and the 5th season of Downton Abbey.  Not to be left behind, The Bachelor started last night its 19th season with "Prince Farming."  The season preview at the end was, as always, thoroughly entertaining.  The Bachelor editors must have the most fun of all.  American Idol begins its umpteenth season, but don't think I have it in me, certainly will not DVR it. I started an Instagram account over the holidays (MamaPodo).  I am realizing that I have little to say through photographs, but my kids began an Instagram for "OurBlindDogChloe."  Follow her.  I will use mine to follow others until or if I can find my visual voice.  Snowing and bitterly cold here today.  The Polar Vortex is ba-ack. Wishing everyone a very healthy and happy 2015.

Please re-post, re-tweet, or forward to a friend.
@DianaPodolsky

No comments:

Post a Comment