Monday, June 30, 2014

SCOTUS Sucks

There I said it.  There is little comfort in any of the decisions the Supreme Court Justices have made.  The latest today is such a huge blow to women in America, decided by 5 men.  It says that privately owned companies, i.e. Hobby Lobby, can pull their religious beliefs over the right of women and refuse to pay for contraception in the Affordable Care Act. Are you kidding me???  As a woman, I am so disheartened.  As a Non-Christian, I am feeling less and less a part of this current society.  I pay taxes through the nose, but am getting very little back.  If we could just get to a point of live and let live, but that's not possible.  The freaking religious Right is gaining ground and control of this country.  The conservative Right controls the Supreme Court, which is supposed to be non-partisan, but that has gone the way of the rotary dial telephone.  We, the people, are in trouble in this Country.  We, the people, need to stand up.  I have said it before and I will say it again.  For whatever reason, the Right can light a fire so easily under their base.  The Left or Independent can't.  We sit back and watch as Our rights keep getting eroded for things that we don't believe in or think is right and do nothing.  Is it disbelief?  Are we ostriches?  Can we possibly keep thinking that this stuff isn't happening?  It's happening.  The Supreme Court has taken another step in taking away the rights of women over religiosity.  I am stunned and can't believe that Hobby Lobby's religious freedom overrides mine.  Don't believe for one second that this isn't a Christian decision. If Hobby Lobby were Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or any other religious owner, this never would have happened.  This decision is based on religious beliefs, not the Constitution of the United States.  The Justices can refute anything that I am saying, but they will never get me to believe them.  They have proven biased by religion, gender, color, sexual preference, and anything else that could be considered "other."  You can't tell me that Clarence Thomas is black.  He is a disgrace to the robe and to the African American community.  Is it me?  Has the Supreme Court always had this much bias?  I think it's evolved over the past 40 years.  Where once we, the people, felt that there was a safety net for the keepers of the Constitution, that has dissipated.  It's a terrible feeling.  A deep feeling that everything is spinning to shit and we can't stop it.  There's no one to stop it.  The President has been found lacking.  The Congress is useless and too divided to really care about all the people.  And now, the Supreme Court of the United States of America has proven over and over again to not have our backs.  

So, what do We do????  Help me.  How do we light a fire in districts that are having contentious elections.  I live in NY.  We don't have big elections locally or State-wide.  How can we advocate for change and demand changes in laws to help all the people, not just some of the people?  We have important issues in this country, this isn't one of them, until now.  This decision only hurts women and disproportionately poor women.  Where do we go from here?  I won't shop at a Hobby Lobby or any other company that infringes its religious beliefs on my life.  I never even heard of Hobby Lobby until this case, so that will have little effect.  I am open to suggestions.  I am currently out of ideas and am flooded with feelings.  Help!

Update: Though the Supreme Court decision is terrible, the worst possible news came out of Israel this afternoon. The three male teenagers that were kidnapped, Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaar, and Eyal Yifrach, were found dead today in the West Bank.  Such a tragedy of great proportions. Now what?  There is no rhyme or reason to this heinous act of murder.  No justification.  These were boys.  

Sidebars:  If people wonder what the magic is to the New York Yankees, you only have to witness on old-timers game.  It is like nothing else, and is rooted in the history of baseball.  I think it is unique to New York.  It is worth going to once in your life if you are a lover of the game.  It's a brotherhood.  To see greats like, Reggie Jackson, taking photos of other greats is surreal.  The players all seem in awe of each other and it is one of the few ways to really see the through line to the past.  I never mentioned the passing of Tony Gwynn.  It really hit me hard.  He's my age.  His entire career happened in San Diego after I moved to NYC, but his greatness on and off the field was famous.  Never heard a bad word against him.  When he retired from the Padres, Bud Selig honored Tony Gwynn and Cecil Fielder at the same time.  Talked about how great they both were to the game, but the one thing that Bud Selig didn't say and should have said, both Tony Gwynn and Cecil Fielder played for one team their entire careers.  Their fans got to know them and feel like family.  Lost all respect for Bud Selig at that moment.  Bud Selig has been terrible for baseball, great for capitalism.  Go USA in the World Cup.

Please feel free to re-post, re-tweet, or forward to a friend.
@DianaPodolsky

1 comment:

  1. I could just hug you right now. That was beautiful, my friend. Don't ever, EVER lose that fire!

    ReplyDelete